Wednesday, October 29, 2008

e-mail: "The Next Chapter"

It's almost been a month! WOW!
Sorry my updates haven't been consistent... I've been busy with the school and
lots of various projects-- trying to finish painting and furnishing the inside of the new school building
that a past volunteer originally donated as a play place, but Kofi and Grace have decided to turn it into a classroom (so materials don't have to be carried to-and-from the Church building on a daily basis). I'm almost done and will
be off to buy chalkboards later this week! I can't thank you all enough for your financial donations that are being used for incredibly valuable things, like CHALKBOARDS and PAINT and new CHAIRS and TABLES! Your undying love and emotional support just radiates through me and into the lives of the Children. I'm having such a blast each day. It's exhausting work, but it is INCREDIBLY rewarding. I love it. According to the locals, I have a 'gift' for working with children, which was unknown to me and my nephews might beg to differ. haha.

I spent most of a Friday a few weeks ago trudging around the neighborhood on a sweltering hot day under the African sun with Grace. I was told that each year she makes rounds, recruiting children for the school and this would be a perfect time because I could accompany her and 'woo' the parents. Ha. we lost 2 boys, Lawrence and Nicholas to Class 1-- which is exciting, but our numbers dropped to 11 students total. I followed Grace and spoke to parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents... but mostly my interest was in the little ones running around. Each chance I got, I'd play a hand-game with them, or bounce the small ones in my lap. One local woman actually offered me an adorable, but dirty little boy named Bilad. Can you believe it?!
She said, 'his mother is not taking care of the boy. soon she will leave all together.' at first I giggled but then Grace said 'The woman was serious. 'When you leave back to your country, please take him along' is what she said. but pay no mind and don't feel obligated.' :( At the end of the day I was sure about just a few things: that I had tan lines, a dirty lap, and runny mascara. I wasn't sure about how much of an impact Grace and I had made and whether or not we had achieved our goal of recruiting a handful of new students.

The following Monday morning, I stumbled into the classroom, wiping sleep from my eyes. I was hoping for 3 or 4 new enrollments that day. To my surprise, we didn't have 3 or 4 new students.
We had 24!!!!! By the Wednesday of the week following our recruiting, the school's enrollment numbers had gone
from 11 (lower numbers than usual) to THIRTY FIVE (an all-time high, according to Kofi: my 'magic' worked. haha). I was so excited! Learning all the new names is a headache and many of them only speak Ga or Ewe. So our conversations are made up mostly of hand motions or body language. But they're picking up quickly!!!

Okay, so the main purpose of this e-mail is to inform you that I've started blogging! I had frowned upon the idea of making a blog when my mama first mentioned the idea...
but since I've been here I've met some friends who recommend it and I have discovered that blogging seems to be much easier to handle than I had originally thought. Anyway,I believe this will be much easier than worrying whether or not everyone got my last e-mail... and you can check out my posts whenever you want and leave comments directly on each blog! So mom, as always... you were right and I should have taken your advice in the first place, but better late than never I guess! ;) I'm going to post my first e-mail and then I'll continue with shorter blog updates after that.

the link is: http://volunteering08.blogspot.com/

PLEASE be patient as I will fix up posts and add pictures over time. The connection is slow, uploading photos is painful. I have TONS of the kiddos, just please be patient. :
)

I love receiving e-mails from home, feeling tapped in for a little bit- so please continue to keep me updated, too! It's just that my inbox is flooded with e-mails that I need and WANT to respond to, but just haven't been able to yet. Now that my blog is up and running, I'll respond to each individual e-mail sometime this week!

love to you all!! happy almost- halloween!!


-em/emmy/bubba/emma/emily!

P.S.- Idea and Ideology is in desperate need of art supplies, like construction paper, glue/glue sticks, a few pairs of kid-friendly scissors, and glitter/feathers/stickers/artsy things. Also, plain printer paper and wide-ruled looseleaf and pencils/sharpeners. If you are interested in sending any donation, THANK YOU and now is the perfect time because the numbers have increased so quickly! You can ship boxes to:


Idea & Ideology (E.P.)
P.O. Box MP1378
Mamprobi
ACCRA
GHANA
West Africa

Please remember that anything you ship needs to be in the name of IDEA AND IDEOLOGY, the school. Any name other than that (like Emily Pando) and the post office will require me to pay high duty fees.
The (E.P.) - my intitials, is how I'll know to open it.

If you want, you can send letters to my name at the same P.O. Box # :)

XOXO!

No comments: